Preparation of peppers stuffed with Parmigiano Reggiano
The procedure for preparing peppers stuffed with Parmigiano Reggiano is fairly simple to follow.
- Begin washing the peppers and drying them carefully;
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and deprive them of the seeds;
- After that, heat water where to boil the rice;
- While the rice is cooking, clean and chop an onion finely, to obtain a coarse mince.
- In a rather large container mix the chopped onion and minced meat: then join a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- When the rice is fully cooked, drain it and let it cool for a few minutes, before adding it to the ground beef.
At this point, the stuffing for the peppers is ready: simply fill the half peppers with the meat and then place them in a baking dish previously greased to prevent them from sticking. Before baking, pour a tablespoon of tomato puree or sauce and two tablespoons of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano on each pepper; this will allow the dish to form a delicious crust.
Cover the peppers with aluminium foil and put in preheated oven for about half an hour, making them cook at 200 degrees. After thirty minutes, open the oven and take off the foil, prolonging the cooking for another ten minutes, so as to carry out a perfect browning. After ten minutes, remove the peppers from the oven and at this point they are ready to be tasted: they have a really special taste when served after about fifteen minutes, but they are delicious even if they are eaten cold.
It is possible to serve the peppers stuffed with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese with a fresh and light watercress or valeriana lettuce salad, possibly flavoured with a few drops of balsamic vinegar of Modena, in the name of the true flavours of Emilia Romagna.
Ingredients (for 6 servings)
- 4 peppers (possibly of different colours)
- minced meat
- 1 onion
- 150 g cooked rice
- 200 ml of tomato sauce
- 100 g grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- salt and pepper